Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wordzzle-A-Thon

Time once again for another Saturday afternoon Wordzzle brought to by our hostess with the mostess, Raven of Views from the Ravens Nest. For a full rundown on the parameters of the writing challenge and to meet the other participants go by and say hi to her.

I decided to do a mega Wordzzle this week. (using all the words listed below in a story) Hope you enjoy it.

Ten Word Challenge will be: cardboard box, liquor cabinet, ostrich feathers, longitudinal, hamburger helper, partnership, laundry detergent, magnificent, San Francisco, prognosis

And for the Mini Challenge: worst case scenario, marginalia, water fountain, specialized, fortitude


"What a magnificent day this was going to be," thought Alex. The channel six meteorologist had offered up his weather prognosis for the area and according to him there was a ridge of high pressure holding fast to a longitudinal line just off the San Francisco bay.

On the other hand, to say that Barry was anything but anxious about participating in his first Bay to Breakers, a mini marathon, would have been an understatement. His partner Alex, somehow had convinced him that this was going to be fun and as much as Barry wanted to believe it, he still wasn't sure a 12k run could be classified as anything but pure torture.

"Alex, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this," Barry petitioned, "I mean unlike you, I don't have any specialized type of training for this sort of thing, and in fact I'm pretty sure the Hamburger Helper I had for dinner last night doesn't exactly qualify as a runners meal!"

"Oh pla-lease," replied Alex, "you're always one for the dramatics aren't you? In fact, I don't remember seeing you this worked up since the time we switched from scented to unscented laundry detergent. Besides, what's the worst thing that could happen?"

"Worst case scenario?" Barry said, "How about I make it half way through the race and throw up a lung?"

Alex fired back, "Oh would you please stop being such a Nancy boy and get over yourself, and anyway I already told you it's just about having some fun, we're not in it to try to win the darn thing. Even if we were though, there's one thing I've learned in this partnership, you'd have the fortitude to see you through it."

As much as he appreciated the compliment, Barry still wasn't completely buying it until Alex reached into a cardboard box that had been sitting next to the liquor cabinet and pulled out their costumes, complete with a boa of multi-colored ostrich feathers.

"Oh...my...god, those are gorgeous!" Barry exclaimed, "I might be able to do this after all! Quick, go get my notebook so I can remember where all the water fountains are along the route."

"You mapped out their locations?" asked Alex.

"You bet your sweet little butt cheeks I did. I put notations in the marginalia of my map book just in case I went through with this."

"Marginalia?" said Alex with a smile, "Who other than you would use such a word? You are such a goof, I love that about you. Now put on these tights and let's get going."

11 comments:

Raven said...

I loved it! Are we going to get details of the race next week? Soon I'll be the only person NOT doing serial wordzzles. Thank you for your thanks and in advance for any words/phrases you see fit to throw my way.

Dianne said...

I love 'throw up a lung' and I thought mapping out all the water fountains was the most endearing thing!!

Pretty cool Jeff!

CrystalChick said...

I had to google 'Bay to Breakers' to find out what the heck ostrich feathers had to do with a 12k race. But now I know.

Very cool Wordzzle!

Ron said...

YOU FREAKING BLOW ME AWAY with your creativity and humor, Jeff!

BRAVO!

HYSTERICAL!

BRILLIANT!

TWO THUMBS UP!

Thanks for sharing, buddy!

Unknown said...

Loved it! Great job!

Jeff B said...

Raven- I don't think you'll be alone. I like all the ongoing stories too, but I'll probably come up with something new again next week. I emailed a handfull of words a bit ago. Hope they help out.

Dianne- I use to say that a lot back in my back packing days.

Crystalchick- The run is just an excuse to throw a big party for a fair number of the participants. It's entertaining to say the least.

Ron- aka Siskle and Ebert. I left my heart in San Francisco.

Kim- I appreciate that.

rebecca said...

yeah, "throw up a lung," was good....hehe!

Travis Cody said...

Bwahahahahahahahahaaa

Nice job!

Jay said...

That was fantastic! Well done.

Sorry I'm so late getting around.

rebecca said...

what a fun read...hehe!

Jeff B said...

Rebecca, Travis and Jay- Thanks for reading along. I had fun writing this one.