Saturday, August 30, 2008

Little Johnny loves to Wordzzle

We had a great night last night. Went to the circus and had an absolute blast. I'll probably do a post about it tomorrow, but for today it's time for a couple of Wordzzles.

Most of you already know the routine, but if you're new, here's the shtick. Raven gives us an assortment of words each week and we come up with a paragraph or short story using all of them. Here's what we had to work with this week.

Ten Word Challenge: pogo stick, ant farm, psychic, tin box, wall safe, Waterloo, surge protector, pneumonia, ravages of time, turtle

And for the Mini Challenge: Swollen ankles, opera singer, toothy grin, oil paints, potter’s wheel

~~~ The Ten Word ~~~

It didn't exactly take a psychic to know
what was about to happen. The ravages of time had reared its ugly head and although it had only been two weeks, to a house bound little boy of six years recovering from pneumonia, it felt as if it were a lifetime. Boredom had taken over long ago and little Johnny decided it was time to get creative. He'd long since grown tired of his pet turtle Manchester, and even the tin box full of his prized collection of army men no longer kept his interest. What he really wanted to do was to go outside and bounce on his pogo stick, but his mother wasn't about to allow that just yet.

Then it came to him, looking high up on the wall, safe from his reach, so his mother thought, was the ant farm he'd been instructed not to touch. This was just the type of challenge little Johnny was looking for, and with a couple of strategically placed pieces of furniture, it was in his grasp. "Next", he thought, "I need an energy source." Then it came to him, reaching behind his desk, he pulled out a surge protector and placed the little plastic home of about a hundred and fifty live ants on top of it. Now the only thing left to find would be his Waterloo brand "Super Soaker Squirt Gun", but where the heck had he put it?

Desperately he searched every nook and cranny of his cluttered room until, "PING!" the light bulb went on. Suddenly he realized the critical missing component to his "energize the ants" plan was outside, across the yard, in the shed. Tiptoeing down the stairs, Johnny tried to be as stealthy as possible. He'd nearly made it to his goal when he heard footsteps coming up behind him, and then the voice of his mother stating more than asking, "I hope you're not going after that pogo stick again young man."

Without thinking he replied, "No mom, I need my squirt gun so I can make my ants dance!"

As soon as the words left his lips he knew he'd been caught!


~~~ The Mini ~~~

Who'd ever heard of an opera singer with swollen ankles and a toothy grin? Well that's exactly what Herman created with oil paints at his eclectic little art studio, "The Potters Wheel".

29 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Oh darn it, the kid get caught!

I loved them both but the mini was pure genius!

Akelamalu said...

PS Jeff, just to clarify we can post the 'Portrait of Word' anytime between 15th and 17th right?

Jeff B said...

Akelamalu- I was affraid of the flak I'd have got from letting the ants "dance" hehehe

Yes, anytime between those days. I'll have my story up probably late on the 14th with Mr Linky at the bottom of it. that way when everyone else posts, the'll be able to link up.

There's been a pretty good response to it, so hopefully we'll have a good turn out.

Unknown said...

Fabulous! Great job!

Dianne said...

Wow the mini was something! Did it just come to you!?

and I'm one of those ant huggers who would have been moritifed at the idea of electrocuted ants!! LOL

Moms do have a tendency of putting a damper on things ;)

Akelamalu said...

Okey Dokey Jeff the 15th it is! I just hope I've interpreted the rules correctly. :)

Raven said...

Awesome mini. I'm glad the kid got caught. I was worried about the ants but him too. Electrocution on top of pneumonia... yikes.

Oh... surge protector has been replaced with lap-top for next week. Not a good replacement, I'm afraid but it was the first thing that came into my head. Can't believe I repeated surge protector of all things. Guess I can't make any more jokes about hemoglobin.

Melli said...

LOL!!! Ahhh that is GREAT! Just the way a 6 year old thinks! Yes indeed!

And the MINI! How'd you DO that in just two sentences? Amazing!!!

Melli said...

OH!!! And I LOVED the way you used "wall, safe" too! GENIUS!

Jeff B said...

Kim- thanks, sometimes the words just co-operate.

Dianne- I had the ten word written a few days ago. I realized this morning that I'd forgot to do the mini. I looked at the words and they just sort of fell into place.

Akelamalu- I'm sure it'll be just fine. Any bugs in the system should get worked out after this first run.

Raven- hehehe OK, I'm off the hemoglobin hook now. hehehe

Melli- I have fun splitting word combination's up to use in a different way. And having two young boys in the house really helps in these type of stories.

Jay said...

Kids just can't keep a secret. haha

Great job on the Wordzzles dude!

Kimmie said...

Your brain amazes me! The story was great, but I'm glad he got caught. We wouldn't want any french fried ants now would we. Hmmm...only a man would think of that! LOL! ;-)

Your mini was brilliant! You are good Jeff!

Hugs,
Kimmie

Utter Basketcase said...

*GiGGLeS* Well done! I don't even know what some of those words mean!!! hehe xx

Carletta said...

Make my ants dance - ha, ha!
I loved the story!
Your mini was so short and concise that I was amazed - excellent!

I hadn't come by and checked out your new writing venture until today. It really looks like fun. I'm going to look at everything again and you might just find me joining in. ;)

Jeff B said...

Jay- Having my two boys, I've heard some pretty candid stuff like this.

Kimmie- Ha, I'm going to donate it to science after I die. That ought to give them something to chuckle at.

Giggle- See, blogging can be educational too!

Carletta- I do hope you'll give it a go. The more the merrier.

Richard said...

What's wrong with dancing ants? Loved this "little Johnny" tale.

Rich

Cinnamon Girl said...

"Energize"...LOL!

Good one!

Mel said...

Holy moly......you're GOOD.
Two sentences!

*whew*

Another one well done!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your mini was really mini! Well done. I am sorry that pneumonia boy got caught. I wanted to see the ants dance. :0

Ron said...

Jeff, you always freaking amaze me in how you can weave these words so cleverly into a wonderful short story!!

BRAVO to you!

And I agree with many others here...the mini was brilliant!

oooh...oooh...and the CIRCUS! Can't wait to read about it.

Did you get any photos of my favorites...the CLOWNS????

Have a great holiday tomorrow, bud!

SMM said...

oh poor thing...after all the meticulous planning he had to go tell his mother

Middle Ditch said...

That was fun!

Rhea said...

I just wanted to give you a head's up that I posted about you today on my site. :o) It's not bad, I promise. hehe

Travis Cody said...

Johnny needs more training in covert operations!

Trooper Thorn said...

Terrific. You worked in Manchester, even though it was not required. Do you get bonus marks for that?

buffalodick said...

Jeff- by now, you've realized I don't do Wordzzle, 55s, or anything else like that... it is not why I blog.. Just want you to know, I enjoy your posts, and am not ignoring you or anyone else when you do these writings when I don't comment..sorry.

Jeff B said...

Richard- Didn't Keven Costner do that movie, "Dances with Ants"?

Starrlight- Aren't I so darned PC?

Mel- Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

Quilly- Thanks for dropping in. That mini just sort of fell into place.

Ron- The circus was fantastic! and the clowns were a hoot too.

Smm- Sometimes the best laid plans go awry.

Middle Ditch- Why thank you, and also for visiting.

Rhea- I just read that post a little bit ago. That was nice of you, thanks.

Travis- Are you saying that little Johnny should be enrolled in military school?

Trooper Thorn- Don't know about bonus points, but if someone's handing them out, I'm gladly accepting.

Buffalo- No worries my friend. I do appreciate your comment, but I realize with a blog with diverse topics like this, not everyone is going to appeal to every person. Comment when it feels right and don't sweat it when it doesn't.

enthalpymama said...

Clever! I love puzzles!

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

Very cute! I love wordzzles about kids.


And thanks for reading mine... I will do my best to be back this week :)