Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Recap and Wordzzles

Halloween came and went last night with what I would call a big success. After raining for the better part of the morning hours, the skies cleared and gave way to a dry evening. It was also pretty warm outside. (relatively speaking that is) At around 50ºF for us north westerners is was practically a heat wave.

What really made it great was that the kids had a blast. We went to what seemed like a million houses and they gathered treats of all sorts. In fact, they woke up early today and are down stairs now sorting through their loot and trading each other for various favorites.

For those of you that have been reading here for a while, you might remember Anthony's project he did to earn his special Darth Vader costume. He did such a good job on it we made sure to include the light saber and a cool voice box that he could speak into and change his voice. It also had the classic breathing sound like the "real" Vader. Needless to say, he was stoked. Mathew decided he wanted to be a ninja this year. Not exactly the most stealthy one I've ever seen (or heard), but he looked pretty cute anyway.

On a trip to the supermarket earlier in the day we spotted this car (hearse) and I had to take a few shots of it. It provided some pretty good chuckles to everyone who saw it. I'm betting he/she was a hit anywhere they went in that thing.



Well, as you can see, yesterday was a bunch of fun. Looking forward to next year already.

~~~


OK, after taking a few weeks off from participating, it's time for another round of Wordzzles. A fun weekly writing challenge hosted by Raven from Views from the Ravens Nest. Do go by and visit her please, and better yet, join in on the fun if you're so inclined.

This week's words:

The ten word group: squeaky toy, perpendicular, olives, shanty, howling at the moon, soul, bow and arrow, uniform, statistics, praying mantis

The mini group: glamour, rocking chair, cormorant, objective, symbolism


The Ten Word
"The Hunt"

Ah yes, being out here with his boy was good for the soul.

Jacob and his son had arrived at the shanty in the woods earlier in the day and were now anticipating the following morning's hunt. Olives, their trusty black Labrador retriever was resting comfortably in front of the pot belly stove gathering in its warmth while chewing on her favorite squeaky toy. The father and son combo chuckled as they watched Olives hold the toy perpendicular to the floor with her front paws, gnawing away at it without a care in the world.

Billy, Jacob's son, asked his father, "Dad, do you really think we're going to be able to bag a deer with just a bow and arrow?"

"Well son," he replied, "the statistics look pretty promising that we'll at least have the opportunity to try. Their numbers have been increasing in this area at a pretty uniform rate over the last several years. Besides, you remember seeing the praying mantis that was perched on the quiver of arrows you were carrying earlier? That's a sure sign of good luck. . . and listen to that."

The sound of wolves howling at the moon echoed through the surrounding canyons.

"Wolves know where the hunting grounds are good too son."

~~~

The Mini
"Puzzling"

What was the objective of this strange symbolism? A cormorant sitting in a rocking chair dressed like a fashion model? What were the editors of Glamour Magazine trying to depict with this image?

~~~

Have a great weekend all!

33 comments:

Roan said...

While walking in the woods last weekend, one of those praying mantis (Yikes! creepy things) landed on my head. Does that mean my brain will have good luck? Loved the costumes and the car. I wonder if they park that all year and only bring it out for Halloween? BJ

Akelamalu said...

Anthony and Matthew look great! Congratulations to Anthony on earning the costume and what a great Dad you are throwing in the other accessories!

Great job on the Wordzzles Jeff, I didn't play this week as I only got back of my jaunt yesterday.

Richard said...

Jeff B: Glad you're back writing. Liked naming the dog Olives. It felt very authentic.

by the way - Praying Mantises are ferocious hunters.

Rich

Raven said...

Thanks for the Halloween picks. Both costumes look great. Very cool to have a light saber and a voice box thingy, though.

Loved your wordzzles. The second one was brilliantly clever.

Lu' said...

I liked the praying mantis good luck symbol. I think the Glamour magazine was trying to say that Janis Dickenson should hang up her fashion wear and act her age.

Jeff B said...

BJ Roan- Don't know about the car. No one was around it to ask any questions. And let me know how that praying mantis on the head thing works out for you.

Akelamalu- Welcome back you world traveler.

Richard- Didn't know that. kind of nice that it fits in with the story.

Raven- Thanks. I nice to be back in the swing of things again.

Lu- ba dump bump bump!

nice one!

Dr.John said...

I liked both of your entries. One could almost see the boy, his father, and the dog. Great writing.
Liked your Halloween pictures as well.

Cinnamon Girl said...

They are so cute! Mine had her party at her dad's with her two BFF's and her Semi Step Brother. She went as a zombie baby. It was a pretty stellar outfit if her dresser/makeup artist/hairdressor says so herself ;)

Chatty said...

Now I can't get the image of that cormorant in the rocking chair out of my head. I can just hear the fashion photographer shouting directions as he clicks..."Preen those wings! Let me see those claws! Open your beak a little...let's give the other birds what they want...prove you're a sexy cormorant! Shake those tail feathers..."
Anthony's costume looks wicked-cool - bet he won't just be saving it to wear on Halloween next year, though...

Travis Cody said...

The costumes look terrific. And it sounds like the kids had a lot of fun last night.

bettygram said...

I liked the image of father and son out bonding as they hunted. I laughed so much at the short one.

Vodka Mom said...

The hearse is classic!

Vodka Mom said...

and the kids are cute, as well!!!!!!!

Ron said...

OH WOW, JEFF!

The boys look AWESOME!!!!

In fact, I was remembering the project that Anthony had completed and was wondering how the costume turned out!

FABULOUS!!!!

And so does Mathew's!!

I bet they were both beyond happy!

Gosh...it's so nice to hear that some neiborhoods are still Trick or Treating. I wish I would have been there to see them! I get so EXCITED for the all the kids, cause I know how it felt for ME as one!

Absolutely loved both your Wordizzles and I'd have to agree with Raven...the last one was freaking brilliantly clever!

But of course!

Thanks for sharing your Halloween day with us, buddy!

Enjoyed it!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Later gator!

P.S. I just went through and counted all my exclaimation points...20!

At least it was an even number!
Oh, wait...add three more!

Gene Bach said...

Hey Jeff, have I told you today that you're a loser? Well, if not, YOU'RE A LOSER! there now, that feels much better. ;-)

katherine. said...

the kids look great...and like they were ready to have a really great time. How much candy did they take in their haul?

I bet the project for paymnet gig will be remembered for next year ...

Dianne said...

Darth and the Ninja looked great!! I saw you comment somewhere else that there were lots and lots of kids out. I love that!!
We had a pretty good turnout. My favorite was 18 month old dressed as Mickey Mouse. He walked right into the kitchen and asked for Juice ;)

I really liked the mini - I could see the mag cover. I think you just invented "cormorant chic" - heaven knows most models look like birds.

Have a great Sunday

Mel said...

OMGosh, they're adorable.

Hoping the kiddo wore that costume thin--and that he has more opportunnities to wear it......like on Saturday mornings...LOL...for a year!

GREAT car! :-)

Oh...let's do it again tomorrow!!!!

buffalodick said...

Glad Halloween was so much fun- Our kid turn out was light!

Jeff B said...

Dr John- Thanks. Having grown up with hunters and Labradors, it wasn't too much of a stretch.

Starrlight- Gotta watch out for those zombie babies!

Chatty- Bwahahahahahaha

Travis- It was mucho fun-o indeed.

Bettygram- Thanks for dropping by.

Vodka Mom- Couldn't help but smile when I saw that car.

Ron- The work that Anthony did certainly made his costume all that much more special. Matthew cracked me up. he had to be the loudest ninja there ever was! (24)

Gene- Thanks, I feel much better now...scumbag.

Katherine- I didn't get a total count from them, but let's just say the dentist should be very happy!

Dianne- "Cormorant Chic" a new super model/super hero. Among other powers she can regurgitate her last meal on command.

Mel- I've already heard, "Dad...I am your father." a million times. I'm thinking he's going to get a lot of milage out of that costume before the year is up.

Buffalo- I'd swear they were busing kids in from neighboring towns around here.

Sandi McBride said...

You're a good dad, Jeff. I love the glimpse of your Trick or Treating staff in full regalia...as to the hunt story, well you know me...I have only one question...how were the deer armed for self defense? Bow and arrow or AK47...lol
great work on the story!
Sandi

CrystalChick said...

Great costumes! What fun. Glad you all enjoyed some Halloween fun.
My kids are older and don't go out anymore, but my grandson was Superman, there's a pic of him with chocolate dripping down his chin on my page. Well, you have to scan thru a zillion Phillies parade pics to see it. LOL
That was fun too. It was a day double in fun.

Neat hearse. I think I might request that one for when I kick it. lol

Melli said...

WOW! Those TEN words were put out there JUST FOR YOU, weren't they?! That story absolutely hit the mark! You didn't do any finessing at all did ya!?MAN! I am jealous!

Jeff B said...

Sandi- Ya never know, they may have been in cahoots with the rabbits and squirrels. They can be wiley that way you know.

Crystalchick- That would be a way of going out with a bang!

Melli- Wow, thank you. Sometimes ya just get lucky and the words mesh.

Dana said...

I'd say the Darth Vader costume was well worth the price! And the ninja? Well, maybe not stealthy, but sure cute!

Schmoop said...

Great Wordzzle Jeff. Looks like you guys had a wunnerful Halloween. Keep on keepin' on. Cheers!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Most excellent costumes...Glad y'all had good weather and a grand evening...

nitebyrd said...

Your boys looked teriffic! Sounds like y'all had a good old-fashioned Halloween. We were TOT-less! Nary a one came for our treats. Sad.

Great story!

Jeff B said...

Dana- They of course had to have the obligatory fight between the sword and light saber too.

MattMan- It was big time fun.

Bond- thanks, it was the warmest Halloween I can remember.

Mimi- Thanks for the reminder. Just a couple of days away now.

Nitebyrd- You should have been around here. There were plenty of little monsters to spare.

j said...

I am THRILLED to see photos of your son in the costume that he earned. And of course since I was THERE when Darth Vader first hit the big screen, I think he has excellent taste!

maryt/theteach said...

Hey Jeff, Congrats to us all! Obama Won! :)

Desert Songbird said...

Great Halloween photos. I'm glad you had decent weather for it. It was unseasonably warm here, and my son (in his Darth Vader costume) was quite hot when he got back from trick or treating.

Jeff B said...

Jennifer- He was one proud young man.

Teach- Wahoo...I was watching every minute of it. I knew once he topped 200 that the west cost would put him over the top. And how about his acceptance speech? Very motivational indeed.

Songbird- Another Vader. . . cool. Glad you had a good night as well.