Thursday, January 17, 2013

Windmill

Back in mid December we were working on a home that was situated in the middle of a wind farm. I stepped outside toward the end of the day to load up equipment and found a pretty amazing sky show. 



I don't know if you've ever had the opportunity to get a close up view of these babies, but let me tell you, they are HUGE!!

Looking at them from a distance really doesn't give a real perspective on the shear size that they are. 


If you look really close you'll see a small red dot at the top/back of the motor. It's actually a light that blinks on and off.

When we finished working that evening it was completely dark outside and when I say dark, I mean it was pitch black! We were a little over a mile from the nearest paved road. The wild part was driving back while being surrounded by these three armed giants (500+) while they all blinked on and off again in a eerie red glow. It was quite surreal.

9 comments:

Akelamalu said...

My hubby thinks I'm mad but I absolute love wind turbines! Mind you I have only seen them from a distance and I believe it's not very nice living close to them because of the noise they generate.

Mel said...

Absolutely stunning shots, sir.
Amazing sky (great light show, eh!) and the silhouettes of the wind turbines......awesome.
I can't imagine the darkness and being surrounded by 500 plus blinking lights--THAT had to be a bit eerie.

Awesome photos though.

Ron said...

Jeff, these photos are freakin' AWESOME!!!!

OMG...they are truly spectacular!

*thunderous applause*

And not only the wind turbines, but the sky as well!

"The wild part was driving back while being surrounded by these three armed giants (500+) while they all blinked on and off again in a eerie red glow. It was quite surreal."

I bet that was amazing!

Thanks for sharing, buddy. You are VERY talent with the camera!

Jeff B said...

Akelamalu- I was actually amazed at how quite they were. Still don't think I's want to live in the middle of them.

Mel- It was wild. The blinking was all in unison too. I was waiting for the mother ship to beam me up!

Ron- Thanks, but I was really just at the right place at the right time. It was so bizarre driving through them. I felt like an ant.

Travis Cody said...

Great pictures. I remember driving across the pass from the valley to the Bay Area and enjoying the look of the windmills. If there ever was a place to harness wind power, it's the Altamont Pass.

Jeff B said...

Travis- I remember that place well. We have a similar "constant wind" area here too. The Columbia River Gorge.

Desert Songbird said...

That sky looks wicked cool.

I've seen those wind turbines fairly close up. You're right; they are HUMONGOUS!

Jeff B said...

That sky just begged to be photographed.. No Photoshop either. The colors are just as true as when I was standing there. Right place...Right time.

Finding Pam said...

I've seen the blades in transit before. It takes an 18 wheeler to transport one. Nice pictures.