Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Let There Be Light



When I took these two pictures I considered doing another "What Is It" post with them, but perhaps I'll resurrect that game again another time.

For the short term, I'll still ask, "Do you know what I've photographed?"

The answer is: The most expensive light bulb I've ever purchased.

A few years ago, we bought a big screen TV and on a recommendation from the sales person, the extended warranty to go along with it. He said it would pay for itself, and I'm glad I listened, because he was absolutely right. They replaced the bulb three times during the warranty period.

This particular type of TV (DLP) uses a high intensity light bulb to illuminate the screen. Yes there are other components that aid in this function, but the light bulb is the one that wears out. So how much does this little gem go for? How about $174.00 That's right. No typo there.

Ha, maybe I should have taken Cole's "friend" from yesterday with me. She probably could have got 'em down to twenty or thirty bucks!

~~~

I think I've settled in on the color scheme that you see now. I like the dark background, and it's got a bit of color to help break up the blacks and grays. How about the text, is it easy to read?

~~~

18 comments:

Jay said...

A few years ago my brother in law and I were looking at DLP TVs and he almost got one. But, the sales guy told him that as great as the TV is, the bulb burned out pretty often. I guess he was right.

Jeff B said...

Jay- The idiot box, as we like to call it, it on quite a bit in this house, so the bulb has to be replaced about every fourteen months.

It does have a great picture, but it gets a bit pricey with that bulb replacement.

Anonymous said...

Our TV is on maybe 5 hours per week. How long would the bulb last?

Nessa said...

I like the new look. It is easy to read and the color scheme is different and it is classy and masculine.

Roan said...

I'm lovin' the color! Yep, easy to read. $174 bucks??? Wow! I almost choked.

Dianne said...

I thought that top photo was part of a truck or some giant machine

no wonder I suck at "what is it"

I love the new look - the text is easy to read and the pops of color are great

you have definitely channeled your inner decorator

buffalodick said...

I'm a believer in letting new technology find it's weak spots, and fixing them before buying into it! In 1973, I bought the sixth Buick Apollo ever built. 3/4 of it was a Chevy, right down to engine. I still found nuts, bolts, cut wires under the carpeting and had the pollution pump replace 3 times in the first year... lesson learned!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

WOAH...considers extended warranty when I go for a new TV...

and from yesterday...I almost thought the old guy would be looking at the woman Cole had just done the job for on a web cam...now THAT would have made the story even better!

Thom - - Dr. John said...

Quilly- I would venture to say several years.

Nessa- Thanks, I think I'll stick with it for a while.

BJ- So did i when i wrote out that check.

Dianne- Time to create a new show: "Extreme Blog Makeover"

Buffalo- Sounds a bit like the car Johnny Cash sang about.

Bond- That would have been truly frighting!

Desert Songbird said...

We love our gadgets and geek toys in this house, so we usually try to buy extended warranties to cover potential losses. Can't do without our latest and greatest gadgets!

Travis Cody said...

As I said before I always have some trouble with the black backgrounds. This one seems ok because it's not as glossy and the font isn't bright white.

I like the layout. Nice job!

Jeff B said...

Songbird- And wouldn't you know it, I went to turn on the TV tonight and the damn thing isn't working. Looking at the troubleshooting guide told me the lamp (aka new bulb) isn't functioning properly.
ARRRRGH!!!

Travis- I saw your previous comment about the dark backgrounds being hard on your eyes. I have the same problem, only in reverse. Ones with white or close to it are really difficult for me to look at too long.

david mcmahon said...

$174?

O U C H !!

Cath said...

Yup you should have took her along.

Text is fine to read. Love the blog.

Louise said...

The text is fine to read, and OMG, I'm glad you bought the service contract. I've never seen one so worth it!

Over from Authorblog.

nitebyrd said...

That's insane! $174.00 for a LIGHTBULB! It better have a great picture!

I like the color scheme very much.

Mel said...

The layout and the colours work well for me.

NOT that it's about me....*sniffle*

It's NOT about me?

Ohhhhhhh.....*sniffle*

OHHHHHHHHH....

$174?!

*sob*

Gene Bach said...

Three letters for you Jeff:

LCD