Day three of ten.
Today we look at eight things that give me angst.
1. I'm afraid of dying. This is not to be confused with death itself mind you. Being dead really doesn't bother me. I'm quite at peace with where I'll be after my time on this earth is done, it's the actual process of dying I'm not to keen on. There are too many ugly ways of meeting the end and none of them seem like ones I want to have to endure.
2. Potato bugs. YUCK!!! I can handle spiders, snakes and all other sorts of creepy crawlies, but these prehistoric looking one ounce pieces of nasty just plain freak me out!
3. Heights. I'm sure it's a type of vertigo. Actually being up high, such as on a tall building or a bridge for instance, doesn't bug me tremendously unless I'm at the edge and that's when I feel the imaginary pull. I know it's not real and I know it's not rational, but it still scares me just the same.
4. Not trying. This is a fear that seems to have a reverse effect and actually empowers me. I'm afraid I'll be an old man and realize I didn't take a chance when I should have. This fear has caused me to take calculated risks; most of which have proven to be good choices. Not all, but most.
5. Dancing. Maybe fear is a strong word for this one, but I realize I completely suck at it so my fear is that I'll look like an idiot out on the dance floor.
6. Not being a good enough father. I try to find a balance between providing for my boys, (i.e. working) and spending time with them. It's a constant challenge.
7. That I won't make it to number eight without running out of fears to talk about.
8. Scary movies. Don't like them; not one little bit. I remember as a kid going to watch some horror flick with my older brothers I'd make sure to have a really BIG soda. That way I could pretend to be taking a drink from it when a scary part was coming up, when in actuality I was merely hiding my eyes within the rim of the cup!