Saturday, March 22, 2008

Messege in a Bottle Meme

Waaaaaay back in February, Mimi the Queen of Memes tagged me along with the rest of the known universe with this one. Now anybody that knows me very well is aware that I'm about as computer savvy as a bar of soap, so when this meme was bestowed upon my shoulders I figured I was doomed to Miss pencil skirt's dungeon forever.

Getting the text onto the image was relatively easy, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to save it as one of the acceptable formats for blogger. I tried doing a "save as" in every conceivable way that I could, all to no avail. I wrote to Mimi and thrust myself on the mercy of her royal court.

She gracefully let me off the hook...(this time) and said she would create the image for me and email it to me. I waited...waited some more...and waited a bit longer. Had I been forgotten? Had I been banished to the outer reaches of the realm? Perhaps I had been taken to the dungeon during my sleep and had not yet realized it!

Then, during a quiet break between posting and commenting a light bulb went on...PING!!!

I had an apostrophe (')...I mean I pissed on my knees...I mean I had an idea!

The most bizarre thought came to me... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

What?... I said, "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS".

What was this strange new concept? It was foreign to me, but somehow seemed to make perfect since.

Could it really be that simple? You bet your sweet aunt Harriet it could.

I went to the help menu on my graphics program and discovered that if I exported the image rather than trying a "save as", it would work. Humph...imagine that.

Now you may be reading this and thinking, "What's the big deal?" Well my fine feathered friends, the big deal is, that I actually made a computer do something I wanted it to. (insert dancing a jig here)


With that I give you the following:



Kind of anticlimactic after all that perhaps.



The rules say to tag at least five people, but I don't think there are five people left on the planet that have not already seen or participated in this, so if you happen to be one of the ones that somehow missed this, feel free to join in.


If you feel so inclined here are the particulars:

**Start Copy
Here are the rules:


You are about to send a virtual Message In a Bottle across the Blog Ocean. Leave a message in the sand or on the bottle. Write anything you wish. Be a pirate or a poet. Serious or silly. Anonymous or not.

What message would you like to send out to the universe?

Message In A Bottle Meme

1. Compose a message to place in your virtual bottle
2. Right click and Save the graphic below
3. Use a graphics program of your choice to place the message on the picture
4. Post the meme and these rules on your blog
5. Return your "Message In a Bottle" to me via email ~ mimiwrites2005 at yahoo.com, sign the Mr. Linky below and leave a comment HERE telling me you've finished. IF YOU WANT YOUR MESSAGE TO BE ANONYMOUS PLEASE SAY SO.
6. Tag a minimum of five people - or your entire blogroll - to do the same. Notify them of the tag.

17 comments:

buffalodick said...

Happy Easter, Jeff!

Odat said...

Very witty!!!
Happy Egg Hunting!
Peace

Jeff B said...

Buffalo- Thanks buddy, and to you as well.

Odat- Looks like it's going to be an indoor egg hunt. Stinkin' rain outside today.

Travis Cody said...

Well done Sir! I had the same progression...thinking it was as easy as saving, then reading through the Help topics to discover the Export option.

We tech ijits may come to things slowly, but there's just nothing like the embarrassment of discovering just how easy something truly is!

Rhea said...

Congrats on getting the computer to do something you wanted it to do! YAY!! lol

Akelamalu said...

I saw you laughing (politely) at my comment on Travis' blog and thought 'I'll pop over and visit.' This post had me chuckling and I love your message in a bottle. :)

Desert Songbird said...

Well, sir, since you're such an excellent fiction writer, I think we can cut you some slack on your lack of skills in the graphic design area.

RW said...

Hahahaha thats a winner!

R.E.H. said...

It's funny how one refuses to read any instructions until we have tried everything, trashed everything and cussed every bad word in the French dictionary. I think it's a man thing... women always say "Don't know how? Read the manual!"

"Nah... don't need to. Let's see... like this, maybe?"

Thanks for visiting!

katherine. said...

awww...our little blogger is growing up!

you did a great job...I gotta do mine...

The Mountain Cat said...

Cool deal. Let me finish a couple of bottles of Remy first.

Anndi said...

Life's little triumphs! LOL

Happy and Blessed Easter!

Jeff B said...

Travis- a "tech idjit"...I like it. It was comical to find out how easy it really was.

Rhea- You would think I just discovered the cure for the common cold or something.

Akelamalu- thanks for coming by. I'll pop over to see you as well.

Songbird- There ya go making my head swell up again. The graphic artists of the world can rest assured that their jobs are safe from me.

Roger- My actuall taxes came out zeros for both the state and feds. I'm ok with that.

r.e.h.- Some of my best French is spoken when I try to figure out computer related things!

Katherine- Eventually we all have to fly out of the nest.

Mountain Cat- I had to give that stuff up, so you can polish mine off too.

Anndi- "I'm king of the world!"...sorry...I'm over myself now. Like the new site BTW.

nitebyrd said...

Very funny, Jeff. You're forgiven for not reading the instructions. After all, you're a GUY! Duh!

Hope you had a good Easter, even with the rain.

Mimi Lenox said...

I love it! Now I feel badly that I did not answer you as promptly as I should have. But somehow you managed to escape the deep dark dungeon and create a wonderful message bottle. I will let you know (SOON) when it is afloat in the vast blogosphere ocean.

Rock on with your writing self.

Jeff B said...

Nitebyrd- Now asking for directions at a gas station...Thant's a whole 'nuther animal!

Mimi- No guilt implied, I was just having fun. As it turns out, it was a good thing. It enabled me to figure it out on my own this way.

Mel said...

Whoa.....

Very cool, sir!

Following instructions? *snickering*

What were the odds of THAT happenin'.....LOL