Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fill In the Blanks

To borrow a line from Led Zeppelin, "I'm going to California with an aching . . . in my heart."

I'll be away from the blog until Tuesday, but I thought I'd try a little something here. You've probably seen the comment game before. The author starts off with a comment asking you to choose between two items, then you ask the next person to do the same.

Another popular one is the story game. The author starts the story with a line or two and the commenter's build upon it with their own input.

My idea is to morph the two together. (kind of) Here's the shtick:

Leave a one or two or . . . line comment about whatever pops into your head. When I get back, I'll write a story using all of the various comments you leave.

No theme or pattern is required; in fact, the more random the ideas are, the more interesting the story will be. Feel free to leave as many as you like too. In other words, when you wake up at 3:00am and think, "He'll never be able to use this one!" go for it. (cause I know I'm the first thing you think of at that time of the morning)

As I write this, I'm realizing with the creative bunch you all are, I'm setting myself up for a pretty good challenge. Oh well, so be it.


Ideas . . .

"Where did I put that bologna sandwich?"

"Twenty-seven years old and he still had three of his baby teeth."

"That's the last time you'll touch that!"



Have a great weekend.

31 comments:

Dana said...

What do you mean you can't find your cup? You've got to have your cup to play!

Desert Songbird said...

I moved the penguin, peeked under the lid, slammed it shut and sighed.

"It'll never work," I told myself.

The penguin nodded in agreement.

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks Jeff, for posting the "You Light Up My Life" Award. I'm glad you like it! And you do!

maryt/theteach said...

The geisha reached up and cupped his chin. "Are you happy here, Jiro?" she asked.

buffalodick said...

"You can't go to work looking like that!" It's April Fools', and I think it's perfect.."

CrystalChick said...

WOW, did you know mysterious craters were found on Mercury?

Anndi said...

The last time I tried this I ended up in traction for a week, but why should I let that stop me this time? I mean, it's summer now.

So I picked up the marbles... and realized I'm missing the red one.

That's when I heard that sound... and I noticed the blanket was twitching.

Travis Cody said...

Usually, the dancing bear made her laugh out loud. But today she cried, and wouldn't speak a word.

RW said...

He loved her but could never tell her about his terrible jock itch.

DirkStar said...

Twenty-seveny years old and he still had three of his baby teeth.

He wished he still had the whole baby, but since the unfortunate incident with the lawnmower...

Sorry, the Insulin makes me say crazy things.

Or how about: Twenty-seveny years old and he still had three of his baby teeth.

He wished he had more but the dog hadn't pooped more of the baby back out yet.

Doc said...

"I love to change my own oil."

"You can get some cream to take care of that"

Leighann said...

"I'll never understand how he got that up there so far."

"Breaker Breaker One Nine, lookin for a break."

Dana said...

What are you doing with that toothbrush??

Sherry said...

'It wasn't me, I didn't even go to Mardi Gras with Sherry this year.'

Odat said...

Here we go again..time to pick up the dog poop.
Peace

Jeff B said...

OK I had to take a look at what you've come up with so far. This is going to be one wacky story for sure. I love it!

I'm out the door and on the road in a couple of hours. Thanks for all the great input. Ya'all rock!

See you in a few days

Ken said...

You can't leave now, the storm's coming this way, and it's packing 60 MPH winds!

Ron said...

I hate Peeps!

Mel said...

Eventually, someone will provide me with the infinite wisdom on how to drink coffee from a whitecup without leaving goobers.

Unfortunately, I'm convinced that today--it's not going to be revealed to me.....dangitall......

Schmoop said...

As he pondered the aforementioned question, a wood nymph appeared to him and said...


By the way, Happy Birthday Jeff. Cheers!!

Gene Bach said...

Slowly I turned: step by step. inch by inch, until I came face to face with the maddest penguin on the planet.

Leann said...

I cant believe I eat that whole apple pie!!!

where is timbuckto anyway?

Iam on my way to bong fong,thats what mommy said to daddy when he asked her where she was going, grandma I dont know where it is.all I know is it must be far cause mom packed her bags.call you grandma when we get back.


thats all that came to mind.have a great day.

Marilyn said...

Then he turned the most interesting shade of purple and flicked his feather boa provocatively.

Mel said...

Hey......is it your birthday?!

Happyhappyhappyhappy birthday!!!!

:-)

Ron said...

"Yes, Mommie Dearest"

RW said...

Jeff you won the caption contest! Happy St. Paddy's to you!

nitebyrd said...

"There was nothing left but pancakes and the straight razor."

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

"There was never a time that I did not think of what you said to me that day."

Jeff B said...

Just got back. I can see I have my work cut out on this one. Thank you (I think) for the great lines.

j said...

{not meant for the story - GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to see what you come up with!}

How many times have I wished that our story could end with a nice and neat "The End". I don't think that will ever be the case. "Screw You" is much more likely.

Kevin Wecker said...

"And then, the spaceship landed."